Rules of Behavior and Access Policy
The Online System for Clerkship Application and Review (OSCAR) is a U.S. Government information system managed by the Administrative Office of the United States Courts (AO). As an OSCAR user, I understand that I am personally responsible for my use and any misuse of my user account and must comply with these Rules of Behavior (ROB). I understand that by accessing a U.S. Government information system that I must comply with the following requirements.
- Users must safeguard the information to which they have access at all times.
- Any activity that violates Federal laws for information protection (e.g., hacking, phishing, spamming, etc) is prohibited. Violations will be turned over to the appropriate Federal law enforcement organization for prosecution.
- OSCAR user accounts are provided solely for the use of the individual for whom they were created. Passwords or any other authentication mechanism should never be shared or stored any place easily accessible.
- I understand that Federal law provides for punishment under Title 18, U.S. Code, including a fine and up to 10 years in jail for the first offense for anyone who commits any of the following violations:
- Knowingly accesses an information system without authorization, or exceeds authorized access, and obtains information that requires protection against unauthorized disclosure;
- Intentionally, without authorization, accesses a government information system and impacts the government's operation, including availability of that system;
- Accesses a government information system without authorization, and alters, damages, or destroys information therein; and
- Prevents authorized use of the system or accesses a government information system without authorization, or exceeds authorized access, and obtains anything of value.
- Posting material or information that is unlawful, such as obscene materials, inappropriate content, or language on this site is prohibited. Users will be held responsible for any information posted and published to this website by them or by anyone using their access privilege that is in violation of this policy. Users are responsible for ensuring that any information or content posted/published is appropriate for the intended recipient(s).
- Any fraudulent activities, including illegally using someone else's account to access OSCAR, post system messages, or email customers for personal gain or concerns, are prohibited.
- Users may not use this website to breach the security of any system user or to gain access to another person's (internal or external) computer, software, or data.
- Using tools to compromise system security of this website, such as password-guessing programs, cracking or packet sniffing tools, or any network probing tools, is strictly prohibited, and, the government may take legal action against you.
- Any attempt to disrupt or deny operation of this website is strictly prohibited.
- The user is responsible for assuring all transmissions to this site are free of viruses and other malware.
- It is prohibited to sell any of the data or information gained from this website.
- Users must immediately notify the OSCAR Program Office of any unauthorized use of your account or any other breach of security in regards to these polices. The OSCAR Program Office will investigate any and all suspected violations of these policies and reserves the right to take corrective or legal action against the violator. If an investigation is warranted, the AO's OSCAR Program Office may disable the user's account. As a system user, you are responsible for ensuring that your use of the system complies with the policies stated therein. Any system user who does not agree to be bound by these polices should immediately discontinue use of this system and should notify the AO's OSCAR Program Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) to remove their account.
All system users of OSCAR must follow the rules outlined here. Any abuse of these policies are punishable by law. Direct any questions regarding complaints, violations, or this policy to the OSCAR Program Office at email@example.com for appropriate handling and resolution.
The OSCAR Program Office supports and enforces the established policies set forth in the ROB to protect OSCAR website system users from the adverse impact that can result from violations of the ROBs. If you believe you are the victim of activities that are in violation of this ROB, the OSCAR Program will take appropriate action to investigate and attempt to resolve the alleged violation. To report a concern or incident, send an email to the OSCAR Program Office at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, telephone, email address, the date and time of the incident, log files (if appropriate), examples, and any other information that may be useful to the investigation and verification of the incident.
The OSCAR Program Office reserves the right to disable your account access without notice for violation of these polices.
Unauthorized use of OSCAR by a user violates Federal law and could leave the user vulnerable to criminal action and/or financial liability. Anyone using OSCAR expressly consents to monitoring, and violators shall be reported to the proper authorities.
Effective: March 28, 2011